Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Definite Article: The

The following instances was learned by me and now I will share with you.
1. To refer to a particular thing or person
    Examples: Is that the man who hits you?
                    The ruler you are using is mine.

2. To refer to someone or sth that has been mentioned before
    Examples: I have a new bicycle and a scooter. The bicycle was given to me by my uncle.
                    I bought a science book. The science book was recommended by my teacher.

3. To refer to the names of rivers, seas, mountains ranges, island groups, countries (a union of smaller states),
     etc.
    Examples: My teacher is from the Philippines.
                    Captain Flint sailed the Indian Ocean and climbed the Alps.
                  
4. To indicate sth which is the only one of its kind
    Examples: The sun is a large ball of fire.
                    The moon is a rocky body about 2160 miles in diameter.

5. Used with the comparative and superlative degree
    Example: Julie is the most stubborn of all her sisters.
               
6. Used for a specific groups of people
    Example: The girls will meet me at the cinema.
                
***1. Do not use the before the names of roads. towns, states, countries o other proper nouns  
          Example: My sister is staying in Paris.
      2. Do not use the before names of games and activities
          Example: My brother is taking squash lessons.

Sources: Secondary Grammar Practice FORM 5
              Fokus SPM SEPT 2009 By Hendry Lawson

No comments:

Post a Comment